This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicken Spider Pictures

Thought this might be of interest as it seems to be somewhat of a mysterious species over the years

Craig
    Attached Files
    New iPhone and Android App called iTarantula on the App store now, download below.

iPhone: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/itarantula/id630537015
    Android: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ula.itarantula
    Facebook: www.facebook.com/www.itarantula.mobi - PLEASE LIKE US
    Twitter: https://twitter.com/iTarantulaApp - PLEASE FOLLOW US

sigpic

Hi Craig

I don't know Martin Nicholas goes off into the middle of nowhere looking for one and you've got them all in your living room

Nice pictures, thanks

Colin
    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

How did you get these, if you dont mind me asking. I thought the place where they came from was a protected area, and isnt peru closed for export?

Also are you in the UK

Comment

yes, where did you get them from??

also are any of them male??
        Last edited by lee smith; 26-06-07, 09:24 AM.
        Reptile Rescue Hull Volunteer,
        Invert Rescue Hull manager,

A.avicularia, G.rosea, B.smithi, B.albopilosa
        P.murinus, H.lividum, L.parahybana, C.cyaneopubescens

Comment

Is this the legendary chicken eating spider,supposedly bigger than a T.blondi? Its a handsome beast,and it does resemble a Theraphosa.
          My Collection: - Spiders are everywhere, so live with it
          Ray Gabriel

Comment

The 'chicken spider' was a Pamphobeteus sp. if I recall. Is that what these are?

If so, then where were they collected?

My Collection:

Comment

nice pictures! i'm as curious as the others, too...
              i assume in that last picture they're "getting along" and not fighting or eating each other? how cool is that!
              Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
              -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
              My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

I acquired these years ago unknowingly from an importer who knew very little other than Peru labelled Pamphobeteus sp, like Martin acquired, didn't know what they were until later when I happened to realise they are very unique indeed. Firstly they stick together like Meerkats, they sleep together, hunt together and are probably the most interesting tarantulas out there. Nothing comes close in terms of entertainment. Not to mention they are pretty, non aggressive and rather calm.

Unlike some enthusiasts out there, I do not wish for these to be framed or dissected to confirm the species. I would rather them pass away naturally someday first and do research on their behaviour meanwhile. I do believe there are many with these species but are careful about coming forward, which serves little point in the long term.

I do however think that they should be quickly drafted as an established species so that they can be protected under CITES and bring many over beforehand to breed so that importers don't eliminate them from the wild before it’s too late. Martin has been discussing this for many years but I am surprised it has not been done yet. The locals and indeed many arachnologists, especially from Peru, have known about these tarantulas for decades if not much longer so the species could be already described yet somehow not widely available information.

In my humble opinion, it is an obligation, especially in this day and age of rapid extinction to classify them so we can protect and breed them before they are wiped out. We need a certified arachnologist to undertake this mission to get it done once and for all, perhaps Paul Hilliard of the NHM would be so kind as to work with Andrew or Martin and do the work, which would be naturally fairly quick due to their confirm whereabouts.

These are not pets and require a lot more space than regular tarantulas as they need to be in a group to flourish and are pretty active like hamsters, always up to something together, little busy bodies. Very aware of presence. Would make an incredible exhibit at ZSL as it would attract and educate more effectively rather than the standard lethargic solitary type which serves little as an Ambassador other than to scare.

Craig
                Last edited by Craig Bellamy; 26-06-07, 04:16 PM.
                New iPhone and Android App called iTarantula on the App store now, download below.

sigpic

Comment

i agree on all points about protecting them.
                  how many do you have and what size have they reached? have you had success in breeding them yourself?
                  i'm thinking based on your descriptions they may be the "perfect" T
                  quite attractive too.
                  i'm sure they'd be quite popular if breeding commensed on any scale, though of course one hopes and prays that keepers would be responsible and give them the space they need.
                  Returning violence for violence multiplies violence, adding deeper darkness to a night already devoid of stars... Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that.
                  -Martin Luther King Jr.

<-Black Metal Contra Mundum->
                  My Collection: - Support captive breeding

Comment

Craig.

I agree with James, some valid points made there.

If you could spare the time to put together a few paragraphs on how many you have, size of enclosure, temp / humidty etc etc. that would be appreciated. You've had them for a few years now so you must have the living conditions as correct as possible.

Regards

Colin
                    Don't forget to learn what you can, when you can, where you can.

Please Support CB Grammostola :- Act Now To Secure The Future

Comment

Well seems like all my questions have been asked, so I'll sit and wait to see if iI can some up with any others. But one things for sure, If you had any amount of breeding going on then you can be sure to have more potential customers than you can wave the proverbial stick at.

My Collection: - Support CB

Comment

Meerkat Tarantula

I also think they we should establish a more relevant common name such as Meerkat tarantula, rather than chicken spider which really only applies to one spider in a farm of chickens, doesn't refer to them in the wild. To be frank, any tarantula or predator large enough would take a small chick literally handed to them on their doorstep. I am pretty sure due to the abundance, number of T.blondi's and sheer size they would have taken far more chicks in their territories. No tarantula has been named after its prey, but if named after an animal it is generally a predator with similar habits.

Likeness to a Meerkat

http://news.bbc.co.uk/nol/shared/spl/hi/pop_ups/07/sci_nat_enl_1168607452/img/1.jpg

Sleep in a pile
                        Keep a watchful guard over each other
                        Maintain constant contact
                        Hunt together
                        Work together
                        Last edited by Craig Bellamy; 26-06-07, 06:01 PM.

sigpic

Comment

I acquired these years ago unknowingly from an importer who knew very little other than Peru labelled Pamphobeteus sp, like Martin acquired, didn't know what they were until later when I happened to realise they are very unique indeed. Firstly they stick together like Meerkats, they sleep together, hunt together and are probably the most interesting tarantulas out there. Nothing comes close in terms of entertainment. Not to mention they are pretty, non aggressive and rather calm.
                          So based simply on a dealers word that they come from Peru and are a Pamphobeteus sp you think they are the chicken spider? the ones in the last picture remind me of one of the 2 species in the hobby being sold as P. "paltyomma". from Ecuador.

Comming from the pet trade with no location data they could be anything.

Unlike some enthusiasts out there, I do not wish for these to be framed or dissected to confirm the species. I would rather them pass away naturally someday first and do research on their behaviour meanwhile. I do believe there are many with these species but are careful about coming forward, which serves little point in the long term
                          Sorry to say this but framing wont tell the species and only disection and comparison against a type specimen will determine what species they are (that is how things are done)

I do however think that they should be quickly drafted as an established species so that they can be protected under CITES and bring many over beforehand to breed so that importers don't eliminate them from the wild before it’s too late. Martin has been discussing this for many years but I am surprised it has not been done yet. The locals and indeed many arachnologists, especially from Peru, have known about these tarantulas for decades if not much longer so the species could be already described yet somehow not widely available information
                          To be established as a species (preferably) a series would have to be preserved and disected which you dont want. To get protecction under CITIES (which only covers trade in species, and does nothing to protect them in the wild) they must be proven to be endangered in the wild = the trade being monitored Convention In The Trade In Endangered Species.

At present there is no legal trade in the export of wild caught from Peru only (from what i can gather) 3 captive bred species on Chenalonia, THERE IS a legal DEAD trade and i can get 100s of dead Pamphobeteus sp at $2 ea...not that i would want any.

Without disecting a specimen and comparing against type we wouldnt know if it has been already described, but i do know someone who has been working on this.

In my humble opinion, it is an obligation, especially in this day and age of rapid extinction to classify them so we can protect and breed them before they are wiped out. We need a certified arachnologist to undertake this mission to get it done once and for all, perhaps Paul Hilliard of the NHM would be so kind as to work with Andrew or Martin and do the work, which would be naturally fairly quick due to their confirm whereabouts.
                          Ok to classify we need specimens to disect, Paul Hilliard is retired, Some people can do a theraphosid description in a weekend to do one properly (especially with Pamphobeteus) will take years so it wont happen quickly

But you are correct they should be taken into captivity and bred. same as many other spider out there. but even if we get huge captive breeding populatons going and we end up giving them away as they have no financial value this will still not stop the trade in dead specimens.

These are not pets and require a lot more space than regular tarantulas as they need to be in a group to flourish and are pretty active like hamsters, always up to something together, little busy bodies. Very aware of presence. Would make an incredible exhibit at ZSL as it would attract and educate more effectively rather than the standard lethargic solitary type which serves little as an Ambassador other than to scare

And i wont start on common names.

You probably wont like my comments so i apologise for that but that is how things are.

Ray
                          Last edited by Mark Pennell; 26-06-07, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Hi Craig!

Can You recall the exact year they're imported and You've bought them?
                            Do You knew anything about the other spiders from the same stock?
                            Is it possible that they come from the same stock aquired by H-J Peters and were described as Pamphobeteus petersi lately by Schmidt - what do You think of this?
                            All the best,
                            Mikhail from Russia

Welcome to: http://tarantulas.tropica.ru

Comment

Hi Craig

will you be playing for Liverpool next season mate ?

Comment

Working...
                              X