Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 year veteran curious about slings

Hello Everyone!

I am new to this wonderful site, and know that my questions will be answered with experience.

So to whom it may concern-

I have owned a B. Smithi and G. Aureostriata for almost two full years now. They have been great, but I am concerned about them.

My scenario: I recieved them by internet through a well known a trusted breeder. They came in med. vials and the breeder told me to house them in the vials for about six months or so. I however placed the B. smithi in a mini crix terrarium, and the G. Aureostriata in a med. terrarium, both of which i put potting soil in as substrate (which was a method i was told to use) and have been feeding each of them about 5 pinhead crix, twice a month at best. For water I have been spraying one corner of each housing until soaked, and have seen each sling "hover" the moist spot and "suck" moisture. I have also been keeping the housings in a 70-80 degree/55=% environment all year round. In 2 years I have only seen each sling molt 3-4 times.

My concerns: From all sources that i have been viewing more recently, i am obtaining that each sling should be molting once almost every 4-6 weeks. Now i know that molting is gender and species sensative, but nothing i have read so far seems to fit this situation.

My questions:

1. Could the housing (which is much larger than i know recommended) be hindering their growth process?

2. Should i be feeding them more often?

3. I now have a water bottle cap full of water for each of them. Is this a bad practice?

Any feedback would be much appreciated as I am 2 years into this, and love it, but seem to think there is something missing.
    Godbless you all
    Trev

Hi Trevor
    I have approx 220 slings and juvs of about 30 different species ....from 2-3mm upwards. I can only give you my experiences which may or may not differ from other peoples.

1) I definately think that putting them in a larger container has hindered their growth, in that because the container is so large in relation to their size they can not find the minimal food that you are giving them. I bought 10 B smiths slings of approx 1 cm in mid July and they have moulted twice and are getting ready to moult again very soon. They are still in film canisters and will stay in these until they are approc 2.5cm when they will be moved to a slightly larger container (7cm x 7cm x 7cm). The film canisters have 5 pin holes approx 3/4 the way up and the substrate is filled approx 1/2 way. I use eco-earth mixed with fine grade vermiculite and have found that because I only have a few small holes in the canister, the substrate stays slightly damp and only needs a few drops of water every 2 weeks to keep it at an excepted level.

2) I feed all of my slings twice a week. When the smithi was 0.5cm i fed them 3-4 micro crickets twice a week, now they are approaching 2cm I feed them 2-3 size 2 crickets twice a week.

3) EVERY book and caresheet on the internet that I have read always states that you shouldnt have a waterbowl in with spiders under 2-3 inches ..... and i agree. With juvs of 2-3 inches I use mineral water bottle lids as these are small enough that if they fall in they can reach all sides at once. The reason that I think that water bowls are not recomended for small slings is because as they havent yet got the full covering of hair and a spider with a full body of hair will trap air and so help them to float.
    Slings and juvs under 2in will generally get their moisture from their food and the occasional light misting.
    Last edited by Peter Roach; 17-11-07, 09:18 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hi mate,

i feed my slings with size 2 cix one or two times a week, if the housing is to big they can not fined the food easy.

it is up to you wether you youse a water bowl or wet the soil,( i wet the soil)

B Smithi are slow growing dont no about the G Aureostriata as i do not have that one.

simon

Comment

Thanks fellas for the help.

If anyone has anything else to add i'd appreciate!

Godbless you all
        Trev

Comment

My G. Aureostriata is fed once a week is not bout 2cm and lives in the smallest size very usefull boxe's from woolworths. my 1/2cm A.bicoloratum lives in a vial. The G. Aureostriata has moulted twice in about 5 months. I know different spiecies grow at different rates and Brachys and Gramma's are amongst the slow growers.

Comment

I'd say feed them more and keep them warm if you'd like them to grow quicker. Feeding what you are is fine for adults but spiderlings need a bit more. Also you have 2 relatively slow growing species, smithi's taking approx 5-7 years to mature and aureostriata's 4a similar time

Comment

every thing sounds normal to me they are not in the fastest growing spider bracket. IMO saying a housing is to big is IMO is down right funny, no mean intent implied. A spider knows how to find food weather it is out in the great big world or in a shoe box... I would just say if the spider looks heathy and I assume you know what a heathy spider looks like than they are fine.

cheers hope this helps
              "The question is not, Can they reason? nor, Can they talk? but, Can they suffer?"
              Jeremy Bentham

Comment

Thanks for the help fellas! Has been good so far!

Comment

Working...
                X