British Tarantula Society (Est.1984)
Please note that the members website is not linked to the membership database. It may send you a email saying you have lapsed… this may not be the case if you have renewed online or at the 2017 exhibition
Head Office: Please direct all official enquiries to head office: Angela HaleAll membership queries should still be addressed to
We have recently received a few emails and posts on Facebook regarding why members renewing or joining at the BTS exhibition in May have yet to receive any journals. I have outlined below exactly how the BTS Membership runs.
- Up until 2015 we ran a rolling membership but this proved to difficult to maintain and meant that the admin team were constantly sending out journals and trying to keep track of dates on the database up to date. We decided that in order to streamline the membership administration we would change to a yearly membership. I.e. everyone would be due to renew at the same time and thus make the administration of the club easier. Of course this was never going to be easy but we have now managed to install the system
- We now run the membership from June 1st to May 31st of the following year
- If you renew at the BTS Exhibition (when most of you do. Thank you ) you will receive before the next BTS exhibition 3 BTS Journals and then be due to renew.
- The problem arises when someone renews half way through the year or before the cut off time for this year (1st of May). In order to maintain continuity you may receive all journals for that membership year and be due to renew at the BTS Exhibition
- Renew/ Join at the BTS Exhibition in May: receive the 1st Journal of the year when published
- 1st Journal Publication date: August including new BTS Membership card, BTS Bookmark
- 2nd Journal Publication date: December
- 3rd Journal Publication date: April including renewal notice to renew at the BTS exhibition.
Rest assured you will receive three issues throughout your membership
The BTS Membership Card will allow you a reduced admission price to the BTS exhibition of that year.
We are sorry if this has led to confusion or that it has not been properly explained but hopefully this will help.
The BTS is the world’s oldest on going tarantula society. Our main site is for public viewing. Here you will find:
- BTS Forum: Although now closed to registation it contains a wealth of tarantula information.
- BTS Classifieds: Trade your captive bred tarantulas and other invertebrates
BTS Gallery: Members galleries and the Theraphosid gallery a great reference guide
- BTS Chat Room: (moved to members area)
- The BTS Members website: Password and username protected B.T.S. Members area.
B.T.S. Members area where you can download the latest journal and many back issues, most online journals are enhanced versions. There are also articles and species listings and the beginner’s questions and answers matrix. If you would like to view this area then use the “how to join” to find detail’s on how to become a full or web only member of the British Tarantula Society. Complete the membership form and return it to the head office. The forms carry all the information needed to join today!
We appreciate your membership in the leading organisation for arachnid enthusiasts. Our Journal of the British Tarantula Society is the finest English-language arachnocultural publication, and we want to give you even more with a bi-monthly newsletter that gives a home to additional features like Letters to the Editor, In Focus, book reviews, art, photo essays, short breeding reports or species overviews and more. We welcome your submissions for both the Journal and the Newsletter. The Editor will decide which publication is best for your contribution. Please feel free to email him at email@example.com.
Webmaster: Mark Pennell – Please report all website issues and problems to the Site Admin